A dish may be your best-seller on site, but that doesn’t mean it’s adaptable for takeaway or delivery. Ask yourself if this dish travels well; perhaps its ingredients contain too much moisture, or maybe its presentation cannot be recreated in a to-go box?
When you’re starting with delivery, it pays off to be critical when it comes to selecting your delivery menu. Here are a few questions that can be helpful in deciding whether a specific dish makes the cut:
- How long does it take before the meal gets cold or soggy?
- Can the food be packaged well enough in a way it doesn’t get messy or scrambled?
- Can you replace certain ingredients that lose texture by others that won’t?
- Can your kitchen staff handle preparing additional delivery orders in a consistent and quick way?
- Does it make sense financially to offer this dish for delivery (are your margins high enough)?
- How long does it take to prep this dish?